Amazon | Goodreads
What is it about?
This book is weird and is kind of difficult to explain, but basically you can access alternate realities or universes through special bottles. Theo Bernstein is a physicist shamed for blowing up something called the Very Large Hadron Collider and has had a string of bad luck follow him ever since. His mentor dies and bequeaths him one of these bottles, but everyone wants a piece of the action and he failed to include instructions.
Is it good?
This book is weird. And for the first third of the book I was not entirely sure I wanted to read it. But I have a hard time giving up on books so I kept going. Once I got used to the weirdness and jumping around from scenery to scenery I found myself able to enjoy the book. Unfortunately it got weird again at the very end.
The book has some interesting ideas about family and science. I imagine it might be good for book clubs from a discussion point of view. Here are some quotes I really found myself identifying with.
I had a burst of creative genius and I made this beautiful giraffe.
There was also an elephant, but Little Man took it apart before I could get a picture.
Can you believe it’s Friday already? This week has just blown by!
5 Reasons life is awesome:
Today started off kind of rough, but it sure ended nicely! I had my usual troubles with the USCIS, as in they forgot to tell me my interview was cancelled. Luckily after crying and waiting for 3 hours they were able to get me in for an interview after all. I aced the test. The interviewer, who was funny and easy-going, told me I was trying too hard. I’m glad I had such a nice interview, it makes the whole terrible process not look as bad. I want to tell you all about it one day soon.
So I am now an almost citizen of the grand ole United States of America. And the best part is, someone paid for our dinner when we went out to celebrate. I think the nice person/people thought Little Man was too cute.
Thank you to my One and Only for helping me study the history section of the citizenship test.
Thank you to my One and Only for helping me by staying home with Little Man today. I’m glad he napped for 4 hours so you could get some work done.
Thank you to the anonymous person/people for buying us dinner for no reason. We really appreciate it!
Five reasons life is wonderful:
1. Little man has begun making his first animal impression.Yesterday afternoon he ran around for at least an hour going “Hrggggh” “Hrgggghhhhh”, which is his interpretation of a donkey.
2. We got to go on a beautiful walk with our friends in the park today, and the day is wonderful, sunny, and beautiful. It’s great getting to live so close to friends now, I don’t have to worry about traffic on the way home! Before we moved coming home would take an hour, now it takes 5 minutes.
3. I felt nauseous earlier. This a good thing because according to the Mayo Clinic, women who feel nauseous during their pregnancy are less likely to experience big problems. I like to think of it as E. saying “Hi! I’m still here, don’t forget about me!”
4. I FINALLY finished reading the book I’ve been reading the last two weeks. That’s all I will say because this is a happy post and I will share my thoughts with you later.
5. My mom bought me pretty much everything on my amazon wish list for my birthday because she wants to keep my busy. I think she’s happy to be a grandma. (again). I received 3 Pioneer Woman Cooks cookbooks, a pot with steamer insert, and a Flavia De Luce novel (these books are adorable).
I’ve been slacking a bit with my new years resolution these last few weeks, but I need to get back into it. I think I am still ahead for the year because most of the weeks I went above and beyond.
The resolution was this: To try one new recipe a week (and expand my food horizons by trying new foods).
I hope your Friday was fantastic, too!
There must be bad voodoo in this house. It’s probably just a center of evil and bad luck and it draws its evil minions to it by the hundreds. These evil minions then grow big and strong and fast and generally help keep the atmosphere evil. Yes, I am referring to the spiders again. I just had to squish one by hand through a doggy bag because it snuck into a crevice where my shoe could not fit.
Okay, it was my husbands shoe.
Also the following has happened since we moved: Continue reading
I hope I just killed the worlds biggest indoor spider. It was on the wall above Little Man’s crib, we went in there for nap time and interrupted the spiders explorations. I swatted it with a fly swatter and I found 2 legs and blood all over the wall.
The biggest problem… I couldn’t find the body! I searched for a few minutes and then told myself it’s probably dead. Now Little Man is sleeping in there, and I feel things crawling all over my body.
All my spider research is for nothing… I hate those 8 Legged Freaks!